OWA September Meeting
Stark Street Pizza - 9234 SE Stark Street Portland Oregon 97216
Speaker: Dr. Stephen Cameron
Subject: Wilderness First Aid
Wilderness first aid, special issues and treatment alternatives unique to remote medical emergencies.
Dr. Stephen Cameron is a local doctor who been practicing medicine for nearly 20 years since graduating from the University of Washington medical school in 1992. Stephen has extensive experience including working in Russia with Doctors Without Borders treating tuberculosis, the Juneau ER, and in many primary and urgent care facilities. In addition to his medical credentials Stephen is an accomplished kayaker having been a member of the 1984, 1985, and 1986 US National Whitewater Slalom Teams. Stephen is the author of Performance Kayaking, a book on improving and optimizing kayaking performance and has taught kayaking at the Nantahala Outdoor Center NC and at Otter Bar in Forks of Salmon CA. In over 30 years of paddling Stephen has been on many rivers and creeks both in the United States as well as internationally that are very isolated and take special planning to prepare for medical emergencies. This experience gives him a unique perspective on planning for wilderness medical emergencies.
- Suggested treatment for snake bites
- Suggested treatment for insect/bee bites/stings, how to deal with allergic reactions with and without an epi pen?
- How to best deal with open wounds, especially those on the head, neck and face.
- Use of adhesives/glues and/or butterfly’s in place of sutures for open cuts/abrasions.
- Should you consider sutures if you have little/no training?
- Time frames for treating particular emergencies? For example:
o In order to properly suture a wound how quickly does it need to be done? 12 hours/24 hours? If help is not readily available within that time frame should you fall back on the best available treatment at hand?
o CPR? How long to continue?
o When to evacuate early?
- Updated CPR guidelines, especially in regards to drowning? Chest compression to breathing ratio?
- Evaluating head trauma, especially closed head injuries? Checklist or suggestions?
- De-hydration and heat stroke, proper treatment? Salt Tablets? How to assess?