ROTM: Turkey Chili with Pumpkin
Turkey Chili with Pumpkin
Submitted by Kimberly Long
This beanless chili is full of veggies. It freezes well for reheat on the river.
- 2 tbsps oil
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bell peppers (diced, red, yellow, and green for color variety)
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Steamed or baked pumpkin chunks
- Sour Cream
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Saute the garlic, onions, celery, and peppers until soft.
- Add ground turkey and cook until brown and crumbly
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper
- Add diced tomoatoes and cook until chili is warmed through and liquid is reduced.
- Stir in the cilantro
Serve topped with the topping of your choice. I love topping chili with chunks of steamed or baked pumpkin or butternut squash in the fall. You can serve in a hollowed out pie pumpkin as a bowl if you are ambitious. I hear you might find a pumpkin or two on one of our Oregon rivers.
This recipe was adapted from the Mealime Turkey Vegetable Chili recipe. If you are not familiar with Mealime, I recommend you check it out. Mealime is a recipe app that is desiged to reduce grocery waste. The recipes are easy enough to make and it makes it easy to figure out what to make. I am not affiliated with Mealime in any way other than I use and like it.